Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Karoo Desert Botanical Garden


I took Amanda and a friend of hers to our Botanical Gardens late one afternoon as the sun was beginning to set. The girls loved it. They ran around for about two hours. Amanda knows the paths pretty well. We have such an amazing variety of plants and, if you look closely, I even managed to capture two types of birds in the aloe.

Recently, I let her lead a group of friends on nearby paths while I hid snacks and juice boxes on other paths in and near the little maze. I made sure to count how many items I put down, so that we wouldn't leave anything behind. That was another outing and I shared those photos on Halloween in SA.

This blog is best viewed in Google Chrome.
Click on the images to see them at their best!



Malachite Sunbird on Aloe

Bokmakierie on Aloe





Tok-Tokkie Beetle
The name “tok-tokkie” is onomatopoeic and refers to the sound these beetles make when they tap their abdomen on the ground. They are flightless beetles.

Bird of Paradise Flower -
Strelitzia











Kokerboom / Quiver Tree

The trees are called Kokerboom in Afrikaans and Quiver Tree in English. The bushmen (San people) used the branches to make a quiver (koker) for their arrows.

Kokerboom / Quiver Tree






Related post:


*********************

I'm also on Instagram.
Ich bin auch auf Instagram.



Tina Morley

All original photographs by Tina Morley
unless stated otherwise. 1camera1mom is
mostly in English mit ein bisschen Deutsch.

Total Pageviews

Recommended Sites

To be added

Recommended Galleries

To be added